Journal of Obesity & Metabolic Syndrome



Korean J Obes 2014; 23(4): 274-280

Published online December 30, 2014

Copyright © Korean Society for the Study of Obesity.

The Associations between Discordance of Body Image and Physical Activities among Adults Aged 19 to 64 Years: Based on the Data from 2010 Community Health Survey

In Ae Chun1, So Yeon Ryu2.*, Jong Park2, Mi Ah Han2, Seong Woo Choi2, Dae Sik Ko3

1Department of Health Science, Graduate School of Chosun University; 2Department of Preventive Medicine, College of Medicine, Chosun University, Gwangju; 3Department of Physical Therapy, Kumho Tires Rehabilitation Center, Gwangju, Korea

Received: January 7, 2014; Reviewed : January 27, 2014; Accepted: May 10, 2014

This is an Open Access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial License ( which permits unrestricted non-commercial use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.

Background: The purposes of this study were to evaluate the discordance of body image and to identify the associations between discordance of body image and physical activities among adults aged 19 to 64 years. Methods: The study included 172,132 subjects from the 2010 Community Health Survey. The discordance of body image was defined as incongruence between body perception with actual body size based on body mass index (concordance vs. discordance: under, over). Physical activities were categorized as moderate to vigorous physical activity and walking activity. The data were analyzed using chi-square test and multiple logistic regression analysis. Results: Subjects who showed concordance between their body perception and their actual body size were 74.9%, while those who showed discordance between the two factors were 25.1% (under-: 20.1%, over-: 5.0%). Among subjects who showed discordance in their body image, the adjusted Odds ratio (OR) for moderate to vigorous physical activity was 0.97 (95% CI, 0.94-1.00), and OR for walking activity was 0.92 (95% CI, 0.90-0.95). Subjects with under-estimated body image had lower OR for walking activity 0.93 (95% CI, 0.90-0.96). Subjects with over-estimated body image had lower ORs for both moderate to vigorous physical activity 0.69 (95% CI, 0.63-0.76) and walking activity 0.89 (95% CI, 0.84-0.95). Conclusion: These findings support the evidence that incongruence in body image serves as a barrier in engaging physical activity. Proper recognition of one’s own body perception is needed in order to improve physical activity.

Keywords: Body image, Incongruence, Obesity, Physical activity, Walking

Characteristics of the study subjects

Physical activities and body image-related factors of the study subjects

The associations between several characteristics and physical activities

The associations between body image related factors and physical activities

The association between discordance of body image and physical activities

  1. Rhee YS, Han IY. Psychosocial risk factors among obesity clinic patients. Korean J Obes 2010;19:137-47.
  2. Ryu HK, Contento IR. A study on body image perception and eating disorder by birth-place and the length of residence USA in Korean American college students. Korean J Community Nutr 2011;16:113-25.
  3. Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Korea Health Statistics 2010: Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (KNHANES V-1). Seoul: Ministry of Health and Welfare;2011.
  4. Kim JS, Kim YH, Yu JO. Factors contributing to low weight in community-dwelling older adults. J Korean Acad Community Health Nurs 2011;22:429-37.
  5. Park HY, Lee HM. Wanting extremely low BMI may be associated with higher depression and undesirable dietary habits in high school girls who were not overweight. Korean J Community Nutr 2013;18:344-53.
  6. Chang YC. Relation between the body function and body image according to participating of physical activity and changing step of exercise behavior of college students. The Korean Journal of Sports Science 2013;22:901-12.
  7. Ham YL, Park MJ. Effect of type of body shape perception on health concern, depression, dietary restriction, exercise practice among university students. J Muscle Joint Health 2013;20:151-60.
  8. Kwak HK, Lee MY, Kim MJ. Comparisons of body image perception, health related lifestyle and dietary behavior based on the selfrated health university students in Seoul. Korean J Community Nutr 2011;16:672-82.
  9. Werch CE, Bian H, Moore MJ, Ames S, DiClemente CC, Weiler RM. Brief multiple behavior interventions in a college student health care clinic. J Adolesc Health 2007;41:577-85.
    Pubmed KoreaMed CrossRef
  10. Park YJ. Body image through adolescent physical activity effect on lifelong sports participation. The Journal of Korea Society for Wellness 2013;8:93-104.
  11. Chung YM. The effect of sociocultural attitudes toward appearance, objected body consciousness, social physique anxiety on physical activity of university students. Journal of Sport and Leisure Studies 2011;43:959-71.
  12. McAuley E, Bane SM, Mihalko SL. Exercise in middle-aged adults: self-efficacy and self-presentational outcomes. Prev Med 1995;24:319-28.
    Pubmed CrossRef
  13. Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Community Health Survey 2010. Seoul: Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; 2010.
  14. World Health Organization. Obesity: preventing and managing the global epidemic. Geneva: World Health Organization; 1998.
  15. Elgar FJ, Stewart JM. Validity of self-report screening for overweight and obesity. Evidence from the Canadian Community Health Survey. Can J Public Health 2008;99:423-7.
  16. Park YS. The relationship between sport for all activity and body image, feeling of self-esteeming among university’s students. The Korean Journal of Physical Education 2005;44:857-64.
  17. Mun YH. The state and factors associated with the level of physical activity and exercise in adolescents. Journal of Korea Academy of Public Health Nursing 2007;21:75-84.
  18. Burkhauser RV, Cawley J. Beyond BMI: the value of more accurate measures of fatness and obesity in social science research. J Health Econ 2008;27:519-29.
    Pubmed CrossRef
  19. Chaung SK. Body mass index and waist circumference for screening obesity in young adult women. J Korean Acad Fundam Nurs 2009;16:14-20.